Wednesday 13 June 2007

Nha Trang

The bus journey was mediocre. I met up with Fern, an English girl I also know from Hanoi randomly on my bus. We also saw the Irish guys and gal at the rest stop half way. It's so weird with some people, it's like there's some magnetic link between you and everywhere you go they're there.

When we got to Nha Trang it turned out there was some kind of festival on and rooms were pretty hard to come by. We persevered though and eventually got some really good rooms for $7. Neither of us slept much on the bus so we hit the hay until the afternoon before going for a wander. We settled on a bar from the Lonely Planet. We were there about 10 mins and guess who walks in? The Irish! Well that was the beginning of a quality night. We headed over to The Sailing Club which is a classy bar on the beach. We got stuck into the 'personal buckets' - like big jam jars full of vodka, coke and ice, or pretty much any combi you want. Before long there was a bit of dancing, talking shite and frolicking in the sand going on!

Next day I went for a bit of exploring on a motorbike. I didn't really find much thought. Nha Trang is a destination renound for its lovely beach and nightlife rather than it's historic sights. That night I went to the Sailing Club again with Fern and the personal buckets were no less potent! I had to go back and experiment for research purposes you understand!

Amazingly I actually managed to get up OK the following day and rent a bike to go to Ba Ho waterfall. It's a pretty nice ride an hour out of town. The road took me through the mountains where I could see the whole town laid out below. Although Highway 1 wasn't one of my favourite moments, it's just a case of hang on and get out of the way of anything bigger - e.g 10 tonne trucks! The waterfall was nice if not spectacular and it was a worthwhile day out.


The night was pretty uneventful as I was to leave the following day on yet another 12 hour bus journey to Saigon.

No comments: