Thursday 29 March 2007

Bangalore

Those who know their geography may already have realised that Bangalore is quite some way from the coast and my original route plan. After Allepey and a couple of days in Kochi I became a bit bored of wandering around and observing an average Indian town. Its probably the equivalent of a tourist visiting the UK and touring Luton, Milton Keynes and Wigan! I didn't really feel the need to visit another two or three towns like this as I had planned. Instead, I jumped on a cheap flight and headed inland to the bright lights of Bangalore for a couple of days of partying.

Bangalore is home to India's IT and technology industries so it's much more wealthy than anywhere in the rest of the country except maybe Mumbai. Consequently all the western luxuries can be found here, such as trendy bars, shopping malls, nice restaurants, etc. This westernisation has also caused the people here to become more liberal than elsewhere in India. For example, many of the women here wear western clothes, couples walk round arm-in-arm (public affection is usually frowned upon) and alcohol is readily available.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The holiday season was winding right down in Kerala so there sometimes wasn't very many people to engage with, but this is a crowded, major metropolis so I've had company from the moment I've walked into a bar each evening. Most of the people I've chatted to have been Europeans or North Americans working over here for short or sometimes long periods of time, and all of them seem to love coming here. The place has a bit of a buzz about it that only busy cities can muster.

The central area where I've stayed is called Mahatma Ghandi (usually shortened to MG) Road and it's like someone has dumped Picadilly Circus or Times Square in the middle of India. Everywhere I look there are neon lights, fast food places and people selling fake Rolex's or RayBans. All the nice bars are around this area and they really are quite happening places with loud music, sport on plasma TVs and stylish decor, and of course, all the wealthier Bangaloreans lounging about trying to look cool!

Its quite strange as although it is like a western city in almost every way, it also retains an Indian quirkiness (and sometimes absolute weirdness!). For example, it took me about 2 hours to buy a train ticket yesterday as the process is astonishingly over-complicated. Firstly you need to find the correct area for long distance train reservations; then you have to go and find your train number on a list on the wall; then you go to a machine (which there's only one of) and type in the date and number to check the availability; next there's a form to fill in which requires a totally unecessary amount of detail; then you take the form to a window where after reaching the front of a 45 minute queue a man checks the form and types every detail in to a computer and finally presents you with your ticket. I felt like a contestant on the crystal maze by the end of it.

I think the general weirdness of India stands out even more in Bangalore because its such a contrast to the surroundings which have sometimes made me forget where I am, but reading the local papers or watching the news quickly reminds me I'm not in Kansas anymore Toto. The paper today had a pretty graphic article about a recently captured murderer and necrophiliac. It detailed the mans sickening crimes, but not content with that, it then profiled 7 other high-profile necrophiliacs who had been arrested in the area over the years!!! A relaxing read over your cornflakes it definitely wasn't!

At the moment the papers also seem to use most of their pages to slate the Indian cricket team for their useless world cup performance. One player has already had his house smashed up and there will undoubtedly be more repurcussions now they're all back in India. I know exactly how they feel really, if I had Steve McClaren's address I think I'd probably be tempted to lob a brick through his window! He should be ashamed of himself and resign immediately for allowing a joke of a team like Andorra to keep a first half clean-sheet. The players aren't much better. Too many individuals and no team. It looks like I might be falling back on my Scottish ancestry for a team to support during next summers finals.

Oh well, all thoughts of footie and other such western things will probably be wiped from my mind over the next couple of days. Another reason I wanted to change my route is that everyone I spoke to recommended visiting Hampi. I'm leaving for there tonight on an overnight sleeper train. Hampi was the former capital of a thriving empire 500 years ago which is now in ruins. Now there are 49 sq km's of ruins to explore so I'm off to do my best Indiana Jones impression. Its a very popular stop with backpackers so should be a lot of fun.

No comments: